Re: SOPA
Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #53
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: SOPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
So here's a question I have, I mean the answer might be obvious, but you never know.

So who exactly is against this; the spread of media for free.
Is it the people who would profit the most off of it (The 'corporations'), or is it the people who are making the music/art/movie?
I don't have any statistics, but I would say a combination of both. Obvioiusly, media like music, books, and movies are the lifeblood the corporations that sell them. They can't simply be given away for free, nor should they.

These works take a massive amount of talent, people, and money to create. If no one paid for them, they wouldn't even exist.

And put yourself in an artists shoes. You spend a ton of time and put a lot of work into creating something, then you see people taking it without compensating you at all. They're essentially telling you that your labor of love is worthless to them.

But at the same time, artists get ripped off by corporations. Corporations take about 90% of the sale of media. Not to mention media is expensive to purchase, because of how bloated corporations are. They have a lot of people to pay, so a movie that should cost $5 costs $20.

In order for these corporations to survive, they have to adapt. They need to stop applying an old business model to a world where it doesn't work any more. They need to embrace digital distribution and build a service that is better than the one you can get for free.

They can probably continue to get away with ripping artists off, because artists are desperate to make it big.

The bright side is, once you do make it big, you can do whatever the hell you want. Nine Inch Nails gave away their latest album. Louis C.K. sells his stuff directly to fans at like $5 a pop and makes a killing. Once you're name is out there and you have a fan base, you don't need the corporation any more.