Re: Iron Man 2
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: Iron Man 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
The main comic book fellow on Heroes also writes crappy comic books...and was fired from Heroes before the last season. Believe the only couple decent Smallville eps were when they brought in a comic writer (Geoff Johns who got his start working on Superman 2) to write them.

And then there's Lost.

And Batman the Animated series. And JLU. And Tiny Toon Adventures. And Ben 10.
I'll concede the DCAU, but Lost? You really want to hold that up as an example of good writing? The plot on that show is a FUBARed mess. I don't think they're even pretending to have a plan any more.

According to Wikipedia, Tiny Toon Adventures was written head written by Tom Ruegger with assists from Jean MacCurdy, Jim Reardon and Tom Minton (among others). All of them are TV writers first, and most of them have never written a comic book.

Never heard of Ben 10, but after looking at its info, I'll give you that one as well. And then I'll raise you David S. Goyer. I feel that The Dark Knight was a much better movie than Batman Begins in large part because they kicked him off writing duties. And when he attempted to direct the third Blade movie all by himself, the results were not pretty.

And I did say "almost always a bad idea." There are some full-time comic book writers who know how to exercise a little restraint, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

On another note: Rottentomatoes only has 20 reviews so far. The vast majority of reviewers haven't seen the movie (or their reviews are embargoed). Rottentomatoes scores more than a week before the release date are generally not reliable.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed