Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
What? That's bogus. Just because something has technically worked for the last few centuries doesn't mean it will continue to work, or that it actually works that well. If we tried every governmental system in existence for a period of time, and then our system worked the best, then yeah, that would be true. Just because we've lasted so long, doesn't mean it really is working to benefit anyone. That's like saying there are no need for new cars because the ones we have work well.
My comment had little to do with anything you just described. I simply don't think that a statement like "the best is not necessarily good" is one that anyone can discuss fairly or intelligently. It's pure opinion.

As for trying to make a governmental system work to right all perceived wrongs, well, that's been tried. An estimated 20 million people were slaughtered in the 20th century because of it. Power doesn't wax or wane, it just changes hands. Its much safer to have that power reasonably distributed among the multitudes than centralized in the few. The government is the few and always will be. Centralized power will always oppress. It is in it's nature.

Quote:
Neither did I, but that doesn't mean someone is a lesser individual because the did and it's ignorant to think that everyone had the same chances and control their own destiny.
I never said anyone had the same opportunity, but I do contend everyone has the same control over their fate. No one is a puppet. No one, unless they choose to be.

Quote:
That's just an easy way out for you to blame the homeless person when they beg you for your change. Sure some of us make really bad decisions through life, but it's not the majority, and sometimes it's not a decision, it's just the way things have to be.
Actually the majority have alcohol/drug problems and many have severe mental illness. There are very few American homeless that are of sound mind. Personally, I think this is an area that we could do much more with. One of my greatest complaints of the Reagan era was the removal of funds from mental asylums. I think there should be more sanitary and effective asylums in America to house, treat and train the homeless to make them more capable or at least keep the mentally ill of the street and safe.

As I said, America is not perfect. There is work to be done, but I also do not allow a few hundred thousand (some estimates as low as 150,000) homeless cancel out millions of success stories.

Quote:
That was a joke. Was hoping the "haha" in front would imply.
You have to admit joke or no that statement holds some truth behind it (in your opinion). I chose to address the truth and not the joke. In any case, I still recommend the Tao. It changed my life and made me realize that I am not always in control and I cannot control others, and to allow myself to let go for my own benefit.

Quote:
You're right, it could get much better. It's also foolish to think that every problem with this country can be solved through hard work.
Not all but most. Will you always succeed through hard work? No, but I dare say your odds increase drastically.

Truthfully, most people don't give up on the American Dream because they see "the writing on the wall". They give up because they're afraid that if they try they could fail, and they don't want to face that possibility. To me, failure is a blessing and a teachable moment. Edison said it best: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Quote:
If that was true then none of us would ever need to go to school to practice the things we enjoy. I mean look at me, I probably understand coding better than a lot of the people who are in the coding industry, but do I have a job? No because I can't afford a piece of paper. Amazing.
Life is about trial and error. I went back to school to become a teacher, but the bureaucracy was so intense that they told me I would have to go back and retake my entire undergraduate degree. I could not afford that and honestly thought it was ridiculous. I analyzed the problem, realized I was not in control of this outcome, and made a decision to change direction and find a new outcome.

Instead of getting my teaching degree, I decided to spend my loan/grant money on a TLT (teaching and learning with technology) certification instead and go after a career in corporate eduction. Now I run a small team of professional trainers and serve 30,000 Realtor members.

Was this the goal I started out with? No. Am I happy with my choices? Absolutely. And my success came to me after YEARS of hard work and suffer for 4 years in the worst job known to mankind. All of that led me to the place where I am now and I know only better things await me in the future because with each step back I will learn and then take 3 steps forward.

Quote:
I see in this attitude more negativity than anything I've ever said. Protect what you have. That's the American Sentiment. Don't help others, strive to get as many materialistic things as possible, and strive to be better than everyone else. That's the goal.
You misunderstand me. I was trying to make a point. If I didn't want to help you I wouldn't have written everything I just did. The fact is until you see any possibility that you are in control of your own destiny (but not your starting point), no amount of help will assist you. You have the mentality of failure. No one can save you but yourself, and you will not make positive decision until you have a positive attitude.

Take your lack of a "piece of paper" for example. If you really wanted one you would have it. There has never been more assistance for education then now, and rates on loans are incredibly low and they defer payment until after you graduate. Judging by your attitude in this thread I would guess that you haven't gotten the funding because you don't think anything would matter anyway. You have convinced yourself you are fucked from birth, so therefore, why try? Its much easier to give up and blame the universe for our failings or some wealthy person who doesn't even know you much less work against you.

Quote:
Sometimes people fall down, and all they need is someone to pick them back up and help them walk again. The American Dream doesn't do that though, it walks over to them, pulls down it's large pair of pants, takes a huge shit, and uses a few Franklins to wipe, then burns them all while laughing.

Fuck the American dream.
How has this attitude made your life better? Does your cynicism armor you against all the bad things in life, or continue them?

There is nothing anyone could do to help you if you keep this attitude. We could redistribute every cent in the world and you would still fail simply because you refuse to take any responsibility for your own condition. I don't say this out of malice, but because I like you and want to see you succeed, but if all you do is wait for someone or some government to save you... you'll be waiting a very long time...

You need to stop thinking about how unfair it all is. Recognize your situation. Analyze your options, and there are ALWAYS options, make a decision and MOVE.

"People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. " Ayn Rand

Also, my positivity doesn't completely come naturally. Very few people know this but in my early 20's I considered committing suicide. That's how alone and sad I was. That said, I made the decision that the status quo couldn't stand. I had to make a change. To this day I work at my success and happiness as much as I work at my job and my marriage.