View Single Post

Re: LOST FINALE!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: LOST FINALE!!!!

I look at the end like this:

Draw your own conclusions. I think that's one of the reasons why they didn't answer how the Island is the Island, or Jacob is 'magic'. You can think what you want to about those things, because they're arbitrary to the characters themselves. If you wanted it to be electromagnetism, then believe that's what it was. If you think Jacob and his brother were demi-Gods, then believe they were demi-gods.

If you wanted the show to be answered with science and science alone, maybe you just weren't watching when Walt could read minds and showed up randomly, or when Jack's dad appeared in the first season after being dead, or when Jacob was mysteriously off Island randomly, or when Richard never aged, or when Ben was transported to a desert in Africa directly from the Island or even when Desmond doesn't die when exposed to any of the 'electromagnetism'. Maybe after finding out the main evil thing in the first 2 seasons is a clicking pillar of smoke that kills everything it touches and the Island isn't reachable except by one bearing, and appears to appear and disappear - you had your eyes closed. Who knows.

Weeks ago I (believe I posted, as well) said something like:

"I think the end will come down to people being like Locke, or Jack. Some people will just take what is happening as 'faith' (Locke), and other people will require scientific/logical answers to everything (Jack)."

And that is exactly what it came down to for viewers.

The show wasn't about the Island in my mind, and it never was. The show was about the people. It just happened that the people wanted to figure out what the fuck was up with the Island, but it's more about their struggles in their lives, and them reconciling who they used to be and changing into who they are, mixed with them building strong bonds with one another through the struggles on the Island. The Island was just the setting for these people to change their lives on and let go of who they used to be, and realize their own flaws.

I also like how the whole show was basically Jack vs. Locke.
In the beginning Jack was the scientific-type person who needs a logical answer to everything, and Locke worked off of a 'believe' mentality. They clashed. Locke died. Locke was taken over by Smoke Monster. Jack essentially turned into Locke, saying there is a reason to the Island, and it must be protected, thusly fighting Flocke - who now takes the role as early season Jack trying to get off the Island at all costs.

And I really liked how it ended. A lot. I think it ended really, really well.
Then again, at no time during the show did I need answers to anything. I was invested in the characters.

I will definitely be watching this show again.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.