Re: New Watchmen Trailer
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #72
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: New Watchmen Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
Well we'll get the newspaper dude/comic kid in the super extended ultimate edition, hopefully some more psychiatrist guy too, he was a cool character. I'm wondering if the extended cut of Watchmen will have a Kingdom of Heaven type of effect. And by that I mean, the theatrical version was so-so, and then the extra dvd footage brought the story together brilliantly and it was like watching a whole different movie (I'll take this opportunity to highly recommend the 4 hour extended edition of Kingdom of Heaven).
This is what I'm hoping for as well. As it stands I think it's a very good and effective movie. But it could had been great. I suppose I'm lamenting it's potential, rather than the final execution of the film, which might be unfair but when you make a movie version of literature you have to expect this.

As for modernizing it, I can tell you it didn't feel dated to me at all. If anything, it brought back old/bad memories of the Cold War. Being the council elder on these boards, I have distinct memories of the Cold War and I think I was in the finaly elementary school classes to do the "sick your head between you legs and kiss your ass goodbye" drills.

Apart from the rediculous Nixon presidency addition, I thought tension was built quite well using the 80's as a period backdrop, a period that is rarely used.

I guess my biggest complaint with Snyder as director is that whenever he made changes to the source material, he seemed to go in the direction of satire, such as the absurd Nixon makeup and impersonator and overly detached and "perfect" Veidt. Watchmen is not an overtly satirical film, it is a grave warning against putting faith in those who would "protect" you. It seemed his changes made to transfer to film made the movie less human than it could have been.