View Single Post

Re: New Watchmen Trailer
Old 03-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #78
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: New Watchmen Trailer

wow i just saw the film...

I actually sought out the graphic novel and read it before seeing the film. Normally I don't do that, but this comic in particular intrigued me.

I have to say, changing the ending so as to put the blame on Dr. Manhattan....I thought it cheapened the point of the original ending.

I thought Dr. Manhattan was one of the few beacons of hope in Alan Moore's dreadful dreary of a distopia. At the end of the novel he sees some good in humans, so much in fact he goes to stop the inevitable nuclear war...only to find that Ozymandias was the mastermind behind it all. He informs Ozymandias that the plan will only be temporarily successful (if that), we then see the guilty and emotional side of Ozymandias (which was also missing form the film), and then in a beacon of positivity and hope Dr. Manhattan leaves the love (Silk Spectre) he can no longer have since he is no longer human and he goes off to create new life elsewhere.

Blaming blue balls and making Ozymandias the supervillain and then leaving the film on a note with a united word........totally cheapens the ending in my opinion.

It was cute that at the end they find Rorschach's diary. I guess it is implied that the plan is a failure anyway.

Otherwise I thought the movie was fucking brilliant. The ending seemed rushed and I'd like to see a director's cut with the original ending since the original ending is better.

Better for who? Us comic nerds. As was stated in this thread I'm probably nitpcking. But the way I see....most people are going to hate Watchmen the movie unless they have read the book. It's heavy, depressing stuff. It's all over the place thematically too. So my question is, how many people are we REALLY alienating if we put a big squid creature in at the end?