View Single Post

Re: When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirv
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirv

I actually listen to the "classic rock" station because I'm into the Beatles, Doors, Bob Dylan etc, things like that - but lately I've heard them play some really early grunge. I forget specifically what it was, but that was the first time I really felt 'old' (despite not being old), because I heard this song on the classic rock station that I was totally into as a kid. That was a special moment.

But I think the transition is a lot simpler than we look at it. I think music gets added to a "classic rock" station as it's listener base matures. That can be judged just based on the requests they get. If any classic rock station starts getting a noticable amount of requests for Nirvana (or any other band, and that band fits the stations style), it will get played frequently.

I've noticed the classic Rock station here, while still playing 60's and 70's has now really pumped up the amount of 80's rock they play. Motley Crue, Sabbath. Hell, I'm listening to it right now, and it's playing "Run to the Hills." Iron Maiden on a classic rock station in the middle of the day.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.