Re: The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests
Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
These people would molest children regardless of religion.
That's like blaming Marilyn Manson's music (or even music in general) for the Columbine shootings.
Yes, they probably would, but a huge difference is that one of the most powerful organizations in the world wouldn't be helping to cover up for them, nor would they have such a ready supply of victims being practically handed to them.

Quote:
Even though I don't agree with Vamp.. I'd say his example is more like blaming public/private schooling for the shootings at columbine.

If there were no public schools, there would be no place for these kids to do such an insane act of terror.. And if there was no religion, there'd be no pedophile priests that people trust their kids with.

So with that said... I don't agree with Vamp. lol
I wouldn't really carry it that far - there is risk associated with everything. I think the world benefits from having public schools far more than it would without them - even though it provides a venue for crazy people to hurt others. Not only that, but officials have begun to realize the dangers of having a lot of helpless kids and teenagers in a centralized location with other possibly mental and easily influenced children. The result is better security, metal detectors, etc.

Organized religion, on the other hand, I don't see how the world has benefited from it more than it has suffered.

I don't think religion is innately evil - if I did I would have very few friends and hate my parents. But for whatever reason people are inspired to organize around things they find important, so it happens with religion as well. I was talking to a friend at work about it the other day - he's a very religious person, but he hasn't been to church once in 2010, and he was talking about how he's happier than he has been in a very long time.