Re: 2012 Presidential Election Thread
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #50
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
While I disagree with Cenk that Romney was "crushed" (I still don't get that narrative from the left), I agree that the Republican party needs to become more socially liberal if they want to remain relevant. Demographics have changed, and the new voter will not stand for candidates or a party that won't move with them culturally.

To do list for the GOP

- Accept gay marriage
- Promote practical and welcoming immigration reform
- Come to the middle on abortion (but remain strongly against late term)
- Move from idealistic taxation stances. Namely, if you get an honest 10 to 1 deal on spending cuts vs tax increases, TAKE IT (just make sure the are tied to the cuts). But remain strongly against punitive progressive policies that hurt revenue and private investment.
- Reform existing regulation instead of moving to repeal it.
It sucks how many people vote based on the emotions or being against gay marriage and being pro life. -___- If they make those changes, they need to be careful about it. They need to separate what their personal beliefs are from what they believe is best for the country.

For example gay marriage... they should take it right out of Obama's playbook. Say your personal belief is that marriage is between a man and woman, but also support equal rights for gay and lesbian couples, and explain yourself. That would force democrats to go even more 'left' on the issue to keep their gay and lesbian base, and make the republican base reject them... or it would neutralize the issue.

Or on abortion... Republicans can say they're personally pro life. And they would hope that everyone would make the 'choice' to have the children, then turn around and state that they’re not going to force their beliefs on others, and state that they're not looking to overturn any of these laws... or something like that... and yes, stay against late term abortion.

Immigration is a big issue too. I'm not sure about how they could change their stance without at least rattling their base.

As for taxes... until people forget about Bush, across the board tax cuts, or any type of cuts for the top 5% will be unpopular. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and accept the popular position on things. If the model of empowering the middle/lower class fails, then that's when you go back and point out how well your old system works. Yes, if you truly believe in 'trickle down' economics, it is a very bad thing to put the economy in danger just to give the people what they want... but there really isn't a choice now, it failed and democrats will play on that until their own system fails.

The Democratic Party right now is way more conservative than it used to be in my opinion. And as they moved to the right, they republican party moved even further to the right to keep their identity separate. I think it's time for the republicans to start moving to the left, and forcing the democrats to start being more aggressively trying to appeal to their base.