Re: Iowa Republican Debate
Old 09-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:
Default Re: Iowa Republican Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmariolover View Post
But really, many of the things he's instituted have had (preliminarily) positive results. It might be a bit early, but S&P reported just two weeks ago that Medicare spending has slowed down considerably (lowest growth rate in 6 years), aside from that cancer rates are down and many people who couldn't get health insurance now can. Working in a clinic, we're definitely noticing a positive shift with all of the preventative health services we're now required to offer.
Do you work at Mayo (just curious)? Those cost declines are probably more a short-term change than anything substantial. Costs will continue to increase as our population ages, unless there is a change to the status quo.

Quote:
I guess what I hear is a lot of complaining without any solutions or suggestions. What do you think the president should be doing? What would/could conservatives do better?
He needs to focus on growing the economy, which starts with creating a predictable, and frankly boring, economic environment. Reform the tax code, lower rates, broaden the base. Lock-in everything for several years. Those things alone will drive up tax revenue far more than any tax increase on the super wealthy (also will do more to solve the deficit issue than anything else).

Quote:
Or how about the general lack of understanding or willingness to accept scientifically proven ideologies?
Climate change? I'm with you, but there are bigger fish to fry with 9.2% unemployment (~15% real unemployment).