Re: New Watchmen Trailer
Old 03-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #77
Thespis721
Duke

Now Playing: Ninja Gaiden 2
Default Re: New Watchmen Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
You misunderstand my meaning of "best adaptation there could have been". It is has nothing to do with being "perfect". You have to consider the possibilities of a Watchmen movie in the hands of some other director, or studio. Even just a few years ago, before movies like the Dark Knight and 300 proved that violent, intelligent comic book movies were successful, the thought of an almost 3 hour long, rated R Watchmen movie that was faithful in any way to the source material was absurd.

What I'm trying to say is that we can nitpick as much as we want, but it could have been so much worse, like a stupid PG13 90 minute piece of crap. I'd rather just be thankful for what we got.
I absolutely agree that perhaps 5 or so years ago, this couldn't have been possible. (I believe three it could have since I think the process started about three years ago) I don't mean to play a game of semantics, but I do hear a lot of "best adaptation there could have been" from people who mean exactly those words.

But as I heard somewhere else, the fact that we can nitpick, and that we all pull something from the movie that was off is just a testament of how good the novel was that we found even the details to be important.