View Single Post

Re: Bill Clinton Bribes Sestak?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: Bill Clinton Bribes Sestak?

Oh come on, Strangler. You don't really think anything Obama could do up to and including the firing of Rahm Emanuel would improve bipartisanship at this point, do you? The GOP is a rump party for a reason.

And I know that the White House nominally said that they support Specter, but that was some pretty weak support they were throwing his way. Joe Biden couldn't even be bothered to give an endorsement speech when he was traveling through Pennsylvania.

Oh and by the way, the very worst reading possible of what we know is that the White House may have offered Joe Sestak a position in the administration in order to get him to drop his primary campaign against Specter because the Hatch Act prohibits someone from being a member of the executive branch and also being a candidate for office. Accepting that all to be true, I'm very hard pressed to see where the outrageous abuse of executive power is here. Do you really think Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter and everybody all the way back to LBJ has never struck a deal like this? It's not even illegal. Some people have tried to cite 18 USC 595 as a statute saying this is illegal bribery, but the case law just doesn't back them up and I have not seen any legal professional saying that it does.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Last edited by Xantar : 05-29-2010 at 12:14 AM.