View Single Post

Re: Court Strikes Down Hand-Gun Ban
Old 06-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Court Strikes Down Hand-Gun Ban

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the chicken and egg theory around guns and violence (and my disagreement is in regards to your certainty, not with your belief), but there is ample research and evidence that supports both of our points of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
I also stand firm in the belief that every countries "Rights" should be updated every so often to fit the current social and economical structure that the world is in. I don't think we [general 'we'] should be following rules made by people 200+ years in the past. That seems ridiculous. I'm not saying a complete overhaul is constantly needed - just a keen eye for revision.
I agree they should be updated as well, and we have a process for it. That process was put in place over 200 years ago.

That is what you seem to misunderstand about the constitution. The constitution isn't really a list of laws, but instead is a framework where people, through democratic action, can evolve their own government and society without having to worry about a temporary political windfall or a one vote majority in the Senate removing their individual rights forever.

To amend the constitution and change people's rights (quotations unnecessary), there must be an overwhelming societal shift in that direction. It is not the federal government that is given the power to change it, but the combination of the federal government and the states.

Last edited by Professor S : 06-29-2010 at 09:25 PM.