Re: Superman: The Man of Steel
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #30
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Superman: The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
While I agree with the Pa Kent bit, I liked the movie as a whole. Well, maybe more so that it set a good stage for the future connected DC movie universe.
It did feel like a movie setting the stage for future sequels and the new Batman/Superman film.

Quote:
Plus going into the movie I had low expectations. All I wanted was for Superman to punch someone. And boy did I get that. Actually DC proper movies have been absolute shit since...almost ever (look at their track record...it's depressing), so getting a passable movie was nice for a change.
The original Superman movies were alright.

I thought Batman and Batman Returns were both awesome movies.

Batman Begins and TDK are awesome movies, and awesome comic book films. I felt like TDKR was alright, but it's grown off of me with time and rewatching. I liked Tom Hardy as Bane, he did an awesome job. I thought Anne Hathaway killed it as Catwoman.

I think TDKR was the most "Nolan-y" of those films. I don't know who wrote TDKR, but the film's twist, especially in hindsight, was not as well written as the twist in Batman Begins or the chaos that ensued in TDK.

The action pieces were -- of course -- spectacular. Except for the whole Bane giving an election speech over the pointless destruction of Gotham's football stadium. So much whocares.txt. I honestly thought it was hokey in the preview but just rode the hype ride out. I'm on a tangent, aren't I?

Quote:
Have yet to see Sucker Punch so haven't experienced Snyder's writing first hand.
I've heard only the kindest of things. /snicker

Quote:
Man, I really want to like the Half in the Bag guys. They lost me on their TKDR review. They loved that to death.
I don't always agree with what they say, but they do a good job just drinking delicious New Glarus beer while having opinions coming from a good place.

Quote:
Thought Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman had a good discussion between two guys with very different views on the film. (If you know about Smith's experience with trying to write Superman previously, the tentacle machine is pretty funny. I'm just hoping that was a nod to Brainiac, and maybe setting him up, since similar to how his ship is portrayed.)

And this one more played for laughs:
Nice...I think it's fair to say that Man of Steel had some great bits, and depending on what you want in your movie, it could have worked or it could have missed. For me, it really missed. I feel like I'd rather just grab a comic, or more specifically some crossover that features Superman + the rest of the DC crew. I also enjoy the animated series, and I should get back into those.

In the end, my above rant was slightly hyperbolic, but I hope the next Superman movie is AT THE VERY LEAST a bit more fun.