Re: Citizenship at Birth
Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Citizenship at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
How is that punishing the child? The way the system is set up now, society is being punished for giving illegals that incentive. Imagine if there was a law that stated "if a child is born on your property, it is the property owner's responceability." And some random chick happened to break into your back yard illegally and have a child in your back yard. She goes to jail or whatever, but since it's your property you have to pay for the child's healthcare, schooling, etc. Would that be fair?
It would be fair if for hundreds of years I invited people to my house with promise that if they gave birth on my property I would take care of their family. Regardless of the fact this woman broke into my house to give birth, she gave birth a child. A human being. Now, since she is there illegally, I will deal with her separately. However, since the child was born on my property [for the relevance of this metaphor] I will take care of that child. Because that child is innocent, and started being a human-being in my house. If that lady brought already born children into my house without asking me, that is completely different. But if someone breaks into your house [in the hopes of not doing anything malicious] and starts giving birth, you'd have to be really cold-hearted person not to help. I wouldn't say "Okay lady, you broke into my house and gave birth. Now, I won't take care of your child. But see all these other children who were born in my house, who's mothers I invited in? I'm going to be taking perfect care of them. Your kid, though - will have to work extra hard and take exams to be classified as the same thing as these kids here."

Edit: And even if my house is packed with families whom I have invited in, and people who have broken in to give birth - that is no excuse not to take care of the children, and treat them the exact same way I'd treat any other child in my house. Everyone is the same, and everyone is equal. Especially a child who had no decision in the breaking into my house scenario.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.