Re: Occupy Wallstreet
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #39
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
You could argue that human interests/rights supersede laws.
You could, but I completely disagree for various reasons.

1) No one has the human right to occupy someone else's property, and conversely people do have the right to protect their property and the government has the right to guarantee others the right to use public property and protect it from damage.

2) We are a nation of laws, not people, but our laws (should) reflect the will of the people. If our nations only serves people and ignores laws that are created by their representatives, then what we have is mob rule/anarchy.

The minute that we lose the ability to choose our own government, I agree with you, but until then we have to let laws prevail.

Back on topic, it occurs to me that the protesters WANT these public confrontations. I actually think the best way to deal with the situation is to kill them with kindness. Schools and cities should provide corporate based sanitation, corporate based porto-potties, lunches from McDonalds and SubWay, Verizon Wireless wifi, etc. It won't be long before people are get bored with the lack of conflict or are shamed into leaving. That and winter is coming.