View Single Post

Over/Under: Led Zeppelin
Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Over/Under: Led Zeppelin

I've decided to focus on artists instead of albums, since it seems like the general discussion drifts in that direction anyway.

So.....dun dun dun! The moment you have all been waiting for.

Today's over or under is a band that the whole world knows. Just in the Chicagoland area alone, 3 or 4 radio stations have programming dedicated to Led Zeppelin. Chicago's The Loop has "get your Led out." Other stations do a Zeppelin song at the top of every hour. Zeppelin (along with The Beatles and Nirvana) is maybe the only band you can hear on 3 or 4 radio stations: at the same time.

Zeppelin has an interesting career with the controversially unoriginal, self-titled, Led Zeppelin (I). Then there is Led Zeppelin IV, or Zoso, which is the band's most played album featuring songs we have all heard a bajillion times:

And MY personal favorite song off IV, and IMO one of Zeppelin's top 5 songs by a loooooooooong shot...actually this is one of metal's best songs:

After Zeppelin IV we have the somewhat underrated Led Zeppelin II, and the unfortunately underrated Led Zeppelin III which I grew to like more and more after I wore IV out. Also notable are Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and to a lesser extent Presence. Finally, the band wrapped up with In Through the Out Door and Coda.

Zeppelin's popularity has been cemented, for sure. They still get frequent radio play. Their legacy in rock and roll is solid. Taking into consideration the band's overall originality, their influence in music, and annoying hipster college kids who still wear Zeppelin T-shirts, does every think Zeppelin is Over/Under?