View Single Post

What happened to "Parental Advisory"
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default What happened to "Parental Advisory"

Anyone who grew up during the 90s is probably familiar with this:

I have many fond memories of being in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade....and having to combat the parental advisory warning. It was such a big deal I was selective in the music I purchased. I only bought CDs that were Parental Advisory free, so as to appease my parents. Meanwhile, I had a growing stash of burned albums that were full of explicit content. Thanks to my local library, I discovered that I could check out music full of dirty swear words.

I could go on a nostalgic kick too with burned CDs and my summers in 6th grade making CD mixes with friends.....

But seriously, some parental advisory highlights of my rebellious youth:
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP (I copied from my friend)

Limp Bizkit - Significant Other (I asked for this as a birthday gift, my aunt bought me the EDITED copy! What a bitch! I still have that useless piece of plastic shit laying around, I have NEVER listened to that album censored, not once. Even when I was in 6th grade I had principles....)

System of a Down - System of a Down (Listened to at friend's house)

Korn - Korn, Life is Peachy, Follow the Leader (burned from my local library)

Dead Kennedys (not sure what album, got from friends during my middle school punk rock phase)

Blink 182 - Their whole catalog. Damn, this was all I listened to in 6th grade.

I miss Parental Advisory. It seems like it died off with the advent of Itunes. Or am I just too grown up and listening to whatever I want to notice parental advisory?

Does iTunes and other music stores sell censored music? Do people still care about Parental Advisory or was it just a bad late-80's early 90's fad?