Thread: SOPA
View Single Post

Re: SOPA
Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: SOPA

(For the record I basically agree with your entire post, I just don't want to quote the whole thing.)

Quote:
The only way to prevent things like this from happening is to put a firewall between business and government. You might say this will lead to corporations running the country... but um, isn't that kind of what's happening now when we have more regulations than at any time in US history?

I was just having a joking conversation the other day and said "Within the next 10 years considering corporations are people, I can see a company running for President of the US. 'Tyler Perry presents Coca-Cola's United States of America.'"

But the more I think about it, the more I can tangibly see some corporation actually attempting to run for President, and just use the CEO as the figurehead of that corporation, thusly he becomes the one running for President under the name of (company).

I just think someone in the near future (Not mega-near) will probably grow a giant sack overnight and have that "I've got the perfect idea" moment, and then a room of like-minded businessmen (also working for the same company) will inevitably like that idea. I'm sure a few people have tossed the idea around legitimately, but there just haven't been the right amount of yes-men in the room with him at that time.

Unrelated rant:

I hate the stampede to stop piracy of music and movies. A lot of people act as if it's a brand new ideal that just popped up. Like there were never any bootlegged concerts in the 80's/90's, or like nobody recorded sports events or movies from TV as soon as the VCR and blank tapes were invented. How many people taped songs onto a casette from the radio. I'm sure most of our parents (if not us ourselves) probably still have boxes full of (formerly) blank VHS tapes with old cartoon movies or favourite sporting moments from your local (or favourite) sports team on them. Just boxes and boxes of 20-30 year old pirated material that never gets watched. At least when people pirate music/shows nowadays it keeps that show/band relevant. Pirating may be keeping a lot of bands and shows alive a lot longer than it would be if people actually had to pay for the music/Blu-Ray of show.

How many bands started out simply because of some kids illegally downloading one or two tracks that caught on like wildfire. Then that band gets signed, and the people who want to shut down piracy ironically don't really realize that sharing the media, or leaving it there for all to enjoy is the best option for everyone, long-term. Look at Chuck Norris. Old clips of his show from online made him relevant again. Now he endorses bullshit products - but still, because of piracy (technically), he can have a career in the 21st century, and completely random products are more likely to sell because of that.

What about taking a picture of a painting. (I wonder if you could circumvent that if you're taking a picture of someone taking a picture of a painting - or taking a picture of a picture of a painting.)

What bugs me is that some act like nobody buys things, and 100% of people download the music/show/movies for free. Whenever piracy is occurring, no matter what it is - for every pirate you have pirating something, there are 5 times the amount of people (if not more) legally buying your media. So what if 1 kid from white suburbia downloaded 4 tracks from your new CD, what about all of the people who physically bought a copy, or paid for the download. Always focusing on "we're losing so much money", and not "wow, people are still actually willing to pay us for this! We should be grateful we're making a meaningful product for the consumer!" But everything to them is "me me me, money money money. When do I get mine?"

Even look at legitimate pirates from hundreds of years ago. For every pirate you had, you had 5 people who were not pirates. Or the Somali pirates now. For every Somali pirate there is, there's probably at least 8 regular Somali people. Y'arr.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.