View Single Post

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 11-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #47
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Thoughts:

I agree that the acting and the dialog has been less than average. The scene where they were hacking up the dead guy was so cheesy it felt like I was watching some B-movie zombie flick. In defense of the guys writing the show for AMC, Kirkman's dialog is less-than-stellar. I loved me the Walking Dead comic, but its forte was not dialog. It's been a while since I last read the comic, and I read it all within the period of a few days so I need to dust it off and reread it for the sake of just remembering what is going on.

The smart zombie thing is simply a way to drive the narrative (my thoughts, anyway). I agree it is lame, but what is not lame is a zombie show on basic cable that has tons of gore. Smart zombies that run adds to the tension. It's a cop-out to supplement bad writing and an average comic-to-TV story (thus far, anyway).

My concerns, and I have 2 main ones:

The Walking Dead rapidly deteriorates into a dark story of humanity's evils. We are talking X-rated stuff when we start tallying up all the fucking and murdering that goes down in the comic. I question how the show is going to handle this stuff, especially since they already botched the scene where Rick hacks up the dead guy.

My second concern is that Carl has been horribly cast. I just can't see the kid they cast going on to essentially be the main protagonist that he eventually becomes in the comics. The good news is the show will most likely be canceled before they reach that point in the story.

I've noticed the writers have really gone way out of their way in making Shane out to be a total slime-bag. They accomplished that within the first few minutes of the pilot. This is where I had hoped AMC would expand upon the comic. Again, as I recall, the weakest part of the comic for me was the writing. I feel like the show could have really amped up the drama regarding Rick, Shane and Lori. I guess the writers have time restraints and they want to keep the show exciting to keep the viewer rating high.

At the end of the day I ask myself this: who am I to complain? This show is a beacon of light in the wasteland known as modern television.

It is entertaining. It has zombies. The set pieces are gorgeous. Zombies rock. You take the good with the bad, right?

Last edited by KillerGremlin : 11-10-2010 at 04:08 AM.