Re: Occupy Wallstreet
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #64
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
I constantly feel the need to make it clear I'm not maliciously arguing - just keeping a conversation going. You know, just for the record and all.
And I'm conversating.

Quote:
You cannot pursue happiness, unless it is in the confines of the law. That is not Freedom. That's a guideline.

You can however love who you want, believe what you want, and say what you want. On our continent, or at least Canada and the US - those are the only true "Birth Rights" we have. But even then, those "Birth Rights" were given to us by normal men, who decided it was a good idea.

You don't have the birth right to be happy. You have the birth right to be whomever you want to be, and attempt to find what makes you happy within the confines of the law.
I don't think we disagree on this. I never said you had the right to be happy. You have the right to pursue happiness. There are no guarantees.

As for laws, you are talking about human laws. I am talking about natural laws; those that should be maintained outside of government fought to the death to maintain. See: Thomas Equinas

Quote:
Edit: And I'm aware I sort of contradicted myself with the "I believe these are the only true birth rights we have" and ending with "We don't have Freedom". I was stating what I believe we SHOULD have as birth rights (and do) - I just felt like ending with the realism that we don't have Freedom. We only have Freedom because the rest of the world is so fucking oppressed compared to us(North America). That doesn't mean we're Free. It just means we're less oppressed.
I thought we agreed more than we disagreed. I would also make the difference between Freedom and Liberty. Total freedom is anarchy. IMO, Liberty is Freedom limited to protect others' rights to pursue happiness.

"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."
Oliver Wendell Holmes