View Single Post

Re: Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #274
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack

Quote:
-DW and NoTR exist for a broader appeal. As much as I LOVE the concept of NoTR, I also find it can be a bit limiting in reaching an audience since we jump from category to category each week. On the same hand, it is so broad that it can net us a lot of different folks.
I completely disagree. The fact is that in the podcasting world, there is no such thing as a podcast that always talks about what the listeners are always interested in hearing. If you have a podcast dedicated only to talking about videogames, you're still going to sometimes talk about games for the PS3 or MMORPGs or tournament fighters, all of which are going to be subjects that some portion of your audience is not really interested in. I haven't seen any evidence that Dual Wielding attracts a different audience from Nerds on the Rocks. It seems to me that Dual Wielding listeners are mostly just a small subset of the Nerds on the Rocks listeners. But maybe you have some audience data that you can tell us about.

Since I was on the production side of things, I don't really know why anybody listens to either of the podcasts other than simply because they know the people involved. All I can see is that Nerds on the Rocks is at least a little differentiated from podcasts by IGN or 1UP by virtue of its format and subject matter. As much as I like the Dual Wielding guys, it basically plays as IGN GameScoop with fewer exclusives and 90% less douchebaggery. Not necessarily a bad trade-off, but I don't know if that's the best sales pitch you can make.

And as much as you continue to deny it, the podcasts do compete for resources. They are both supported by the same web page, for example, but the very name of the website makes the Dual Wielding guys look like second-class citizens. And then there's the matter of recruiting additional people to get on the show. Right now, new people are coming from these GameTavern forums and are being asked by both podcasts to consider contributing. I don't think this is sustainable.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't being sustained at all. It's been almost a month since the last Dual Wielding podcast. What exactly is the difference between that and doing an occasional all-gaming episode of Nerds on the Rocks? At the end of all this, all I'm left to think is that this was a vanity project for you. Far be it for me to stop you, but I also don't see why anybody would want to support you. Especially since you now have a proven track record of just hiding from problems.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed