Re: Iowa Republican Debate
Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Iowa Republican Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmariolover View Post
You're right, I'm sure he will try to shame the Republicans because he always does. But they've fillibustered just about every significant piece of legislation he's tried to pass - even when they had outstanding support with the general public. So why wouldn't you, when you know you're going to have a supportive audience?
And the Democratic led Senate has blocked everything the Republicans have tried to pass since winning the House, and Pres. Obama has threatened to veto just about everything even if it did pass. They're both blocking one another because they're about 1 million miles apart.

Quote:
I'm frustrated with Obama, but he at least gives the impression that he's trying. The American public is starved for effective politicians that have the nations interests at heart vs. their own. Obama is fantastic at publicizing himself when his interests coincide with those of popular opinion and keeping his head down when they don't. But like all politicians, he doesn't care what we want or think is right - except to further his own undisclosed goals.
Agreed, and that is a trait I definitely do not want as a President.

Quote:
But really, many of the things he's instituted have had (preliminarily) positive results. It might be a bit early, but S&P reported just two weeks ago that Medicare spending has slowed down considerably (lowest growth rate in 6 years), aside from that cancer rates are down and many people who couldn't get health insurance now can. Working in a clinic, we're definitely noticing a positive shift with all of the preventative health services we're now required to offer.
There are a ton of red herrings in that argument, mostly that the main part of Obamacare doesn't hit for another few years. But hey, if it works it works, I just happen to think it won't. We'll find out.

Quote:
I guess what I hear is a lot of complaining without any solutions or suggestions. What do you think the president should be doing?
For starters, how about passing a budget? He presented one budget to the Senate and then when all members voted against it (including his own party) he took his ball and went home. We are now approaching 900 days without a budget and he has provided zero leadership. All he has managed to do it take shots at any Republican who dares try and provide a solution. That is not a leader. That is a politician, and a bad one at that.

Quote:
What would/could conservatives do better?
Understand that government does not create jobs, spending as stimulus destined to fail, and the Fed can't generate wealth. Those three things could

Quote:
My bigger question, though, is what Republicans are bringing to the table aside from more corporate tax breaks, easier ways of donating to politicians anonymously, and lowering the minimum wage? Or how about the general lack of understanding or willingness to accept scientifically proven ideologies?
Well at least you make a fair assessment...

Please specify your "scientifically proven ideologies", and I hope you're not referring to Keynesian economics... So far these scientifically proven methods have led to one of the slowest recession recoveries in history.

Quote:
I realize not all Republicans fall into this stereotype, but the party just feels deeply steeped in controversy and self-serving politics and I have a very hard time taking them seriously. I'm not saying I'm impressed with Democrats. If it were up to me, we'd revamp our Government and make serious improvements to the voting system. But how do we make the most with the people we have?
Im not overly impressed with Republicans either. To me Perry is the Republican Obama; all style and no substance, and don't even get me started on Santorum or Bachmann. This is why I don't support a party, I support politicians who reflect my beliefs. It just so happens the 5 or so politicians I believe in are Republicans.

There just has to be a time when people reject politics over governance and pragmatism over idealism. The sad part is that I think the baby boomers will have to die off before that will happen.