Re: Occupy Wallstreet
Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #70
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Default Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
What is the "system?" No one can fix the "system" if it's an abstract idea.

I would like to engage in a serious discussion on serious issues. I brought up increasing inequality on page one and cited real data, but no one continued the discussion. Let's talk about specific problems facing our country and then discuss solutions to them.
Have you not read the 22 declarations (well 23 now) of occupy wall street?

http://www.thetruthdenied.com/news/2...new-york-city/

“As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, formerly… divided by the color of our skin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or lack thereof, political party and cultural background, we acknowledge the reality: that there is only one race, the human race, and our survival requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their brethren; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

1.They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
2.They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give CEO’s exorbitant bonuses.
3.They have perpetuated gender inequality and discrimination in the workplace.
4.They have poisoned the food supply, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
5.They have continuously sought to end the rights of workers to negotiate their pay and make complaints about the safety of their workplace.
6.They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
7.They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
8.They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
9.They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
10.They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
11.They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.
12.They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
13.They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
14.They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.
15.They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
16.They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.
17.They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty book keeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
18.They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
19.They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.
20.They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
21.They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.
22.They have participated in a directly racist action by accepting the contract from the State of Georgia to murder Troy Davis.
23.They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.
To the people of the world: We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power. Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy: We offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!”

Agree or disagree all you would like, but these are people who are looking for representation.

Obama, congress, and the mainstream media are all a product of this broken system. So don't expect them to do anything except try to bury this.

To answer your first question, the media's strategy to get around discussing the actual issues that drive the protest is to focus on how people are going about the protest wrong and/or characterize the participants as a confused angry mob. That's basically what I got from the first couple pages of this thread. What I quoted has been out there since the end of September, and you still will catch the media acting like people are protesting with no purpose.

Before you can start working on a solution for a problem, you have to first recognize that there is a problem. And when it comes to politics, you need to show your representatives that there's a lot of support out there for trying to fix the problem. So now we have a whole list of issues that people can take a stance on for the 2012 elections. Obama, product of the current broken system, will have no opinion on this. Don't expect a republican to either. You're only allowed to be against it, or not have an opinion if you want the big doners.

#13 and #14 on the list are the biggest issues to me. I think once those issues are resolved, it would take a lot of pressure off for resolving the other ones.

Last edited by TheGame : 11-28-2011 at 10:05 AM.