View Single Post

When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirvana?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default When will oldie radio become classical? When will classic rock start playing Nirvana?

So with the death of Q101 Chicago is completely without an alternative rock station. It's a sad fucking state of music affairs in the Windy City, but thanks to a booming online music scene radio is dead to just about anyone who really cares about music.

On the other hand, since they killed Q101, Loveline is no longer broadcast in Chicago. I've been streaming Loveline via online radio, and was surprised to find some really good Alt-Rock stations. In Buda, Texas they have a sweet Alt-Rock station that plays a nice mix of old alternative shit like STP, RHCP, Sublime, and new stuff like Foster the People, MGMT, etc.

So this got me thinking about radio and the current state of things. Chicago has a bunch of oldies stations that play the same fucking lineup of boring Beatles songs. We also have our "classic rock" station that murders Zeppelin and Floyd and Rush.

So my question is: when does Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Weezer and Red Hot Chili Peppers become classic rock or oldies? Nevermind recently celebrated 20 years. So did Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

When can we bump Motley Crue to oldies? And when can the Beatles get dumped on classical rock?

Is this a symptom of mainstream radio not having enough stations or outlets? I assume satellite radio has a Beatles station or true oldies, and a "fuckin' hair metal, man!" station.

I just want my future kids to be raised on a steady diet of Weezer, RHCP, and Nirvana. Beatles and Stones are going to be relegated to campfire music. Daddy is going to learn how to play 3 chords on his acoustic guitar, and he is gonna kill that shit.