Re: No mohammed discussion?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #27
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: No mohammed discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
So what? If 1 billion people are wrong in their belief does that make it okay?
The fact they don't want Mohammad depicted is wrong? Who are you to dictate what another religion should deem good or bad?

Quote:
If thousands of Christians genuinely believed the world was flat and the earth was the center of the universe, would that belief be okay?
Hundreds of years ago, yes. That would be perfect.

Quote:
What 1 billion wrong people has no implication on my right to free speech. Even if a part of those billion people live in the very country whose Constitution clearly states freedom of speech.
Firs toff, I assume you're meaning there are Muslims in the US. There are. 0.2% of the world's population of Muslims live in the US.
Secondly, you have no right to say which religion is wrong, and which is right. In this case (The case of Mohammad not being depicted) technically, they are right. Mohammad isn't allowed to be depicted. It says so in their religion. So realistically, South Park, and those defending it are in the wrong.

Quote:
Sure, it is blasphemous to the person who has no humor. So what? That's the point of freedom of Speech.
No it's not, it's equality. Not anger and hate.

Quote:
It is relevant to this conversation because you brought up the word Nigger. Let us not forget that not too long ago South Park had an episode about that Nigger guy. And it didn't offend anyone (or anyone I know). In fact, it was hilarious!
I'm pretty sure you could find a handful of black people who didn't like the 'Nigger Guy' episode, which is the same as this. But I assume you'd try and tell those black people they're wrong for not wanting white people to say the word 'Nigger'.

Quote:
You're walking a fine line deciding whose beliefs are important. It's all or nothing buddy
Everyone's. I'm saying EVERYONES beliefs are important (to that person). That DOES NOT give anyone else the right to poke fun (when they know damn well it won't be taken lightly) at any other religion. Slight jokes are great. If you don't think I'm about equality in religion, check out the Catholicism thread, because I was defending the shit out of that. Take a lifelong Italian Catholic, and stick them in a room with some 20-something Muslims who are depicting some dude giving it to Virgin Mary, and I don't think it would be a "OH, this is hilarious! I love your artwork" type of situation.

Quote:
I'm slagging on Muslim extremists who are lashing out at people who want to parody religion. In case you missed the year 2010, every other person who practices every other religion besides Islam (with the exception of extremists and clergy) is okay with parody of religion.
Different Culture.

Quote:
But why does someone somewhere considering something blasphemy make it ok to silence speech with threat of violence?
Mana, I never adressed the violence part of this, nor did I obviously agree with it.

I'm trying to get the point across that A) Freedom of Speech is not universal B) The Middle East in general has a VERY different culture - at least amongst the extremists. They aren't as relaxed as we are about shit like this.

Personally, I don't think it's good to make fun of anyone's religion. Or any religion for that matter. It's always going to be a serious topic, and it's always going to get the wrong person pissed off. And in the end, what does it accomplish? Answer me that. Did they want to depict Mohammad to get a point across, or to get news for their ever-failing popularity? My honest opinion is the latter.

Edit: Ahhh, KG, half points. It's not a bobblehead and he's not giving someone a high-five. He's just ready for the occasion.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.