Re: The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #53
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
Once again, the problem is you're making large generalizations. Yes, normal families do cover up pedophiles. There are MANY stories out there about dads/step-dads molesting children, and the mother knowing and doing nothing about it.
Look, instead of going back over everything step by baby step so that you get what I'm saying, let's just do this:

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (the future Pope Benedict) was assigned the task of covering up pedophile priests, moving them to other jurisdictions, hiding evidence and so on. To do this, he had to think that it was ok for little boys to be traumatized for life with no possibility of justice.

Now, would he have been more likely to do this if he was a father or less likely? I know it's still possible he would have done it, but my question is do you think that makes him more likely or less likely?

Now consider that there are hundreds of Cardinals in the Catholic church. So go through each of them and ask the same question: is that man more or less likely to stay silent about pedophile priests if he is himself the father of children? Remember that all it takes is for a few of them to blow the whistle on the church.

I'm not saying that all fathers are saints. I'm saying that if Catholic priests had all been family men, they would have been less likely to try to hide pedophiles from justice. Yes, it's a generalization. That's why I use words like "more likely" or "less likely" instead of "will."

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed