Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us
Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
Being the best example of a government that allows those in the lowest class to rise to the highest class still doesn't mean it's a good system.
By that logic you can say anything stinks. Its pure opinion with no qualification or comparison and while I disagree completely there is no point in challenging such a statement.

Quote:
Odds are none of you here have ever had to make the decision of eating dinner or putting gas in your car for work the next day because you just spent most of the money you had on rent. Or going 3 months without a haircut because you couldn't scrape enough cash out to pay for one.
I can't say I've ever had to make the decision you've described, but I can say my family wasn't far from it at one point. What we didn't do was cry "woe is me" or blame a system for the problem. The only person responsible for an individual and their family is the individual, regardless of what politicians say or laws they pass. In the end it's up to you. Anything else is fantasy.

Quote:
Haha I think the best solution would be that everyone grows up poor as fuck. Problem solved.
And what a wonderful world that would be... I 'm having a hard time relating to you on this topic. Your statements reflect the thought process of an extraordinarily negative person. I recommend reading the Tao te Ching http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching

I don't believe America is perfect in realizing its ideals, but perfection is a myth and chasing it is a dangerous fools game. It can get better, of course, but I've seen too much success in my life to believe the myth that it is a myth. For example, I work with Realtors, and most of them came from very humble beginnings and most either do not have college degrees or they got them later in life once they made their money. What they did have was the time and effort to get their license and master their craft and make their own best life. Does that mean every Realtor shares the same success? Absolutely not. WE are not all equal, we are only guaranteed that shot, not the results. Freedom to succeed also comes with the freedom to fail. I would hate to live in a world where no one ever failed. How boring and pointless would that be?

Buit again, if someone wants to believe they or others are trapped by some mysterious shadow web of wealth and power, they can go right ahead. They're one less person I have to compete with.

Last edited by Professor S : 03-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.