View Single Post

Re: DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread
Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #20
incredibledave
Viscount

Now Playing:
Default Re: DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread

Hey guys

Just finished watching Batman: Mask of Phantasm last night. It was good, just not as good as people have been telling me it is.
The main bad guy, the Phantasm guy, is really boring. A vigilante who kills and people are mistaking him for Batman, we've all see that story.

The main hook here is the flashbacks to Bruce's time before and just after he became Batman. The Bruce Timm Batman seems much more human than the comic book version, and it was nice to see some real emotion poured into his descision to become Batman. Even the Joker seems to be a lot more human, still out of his mind but still seems to have have a mind rather than just being this force of destruction. Dont get me wrong, I love the Morrison Hyper-manly Batman and the Avatar of Death Joker, but this is a very refreshing take on all of it.

Art style is gorgeous, and voice acting is top notch as per usual.
If you had taken all the Flashback out of this and sold them under the title "Batman: Origin" or something it would have hit the spot, but instead it gets bookended by boring and sometimes confusing run ins with the phantasm