Re: DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Re: DC/Marvel at The Animated Movies Thread

This week's film is Dr. Strange

I'll start off by saying I'm not too familiar with the character. I remember him making an appearance or two in the Fox Spider-man cartoon and believe he shows up in the Ultimate Spider-man comics, other than that I really don't know much about the character.

With that said, this movie serves as a long long origin tale. Now origin tales are often used for first movies, but being an animated movie with a much shorter run-time, the origin takes up a good 80% of the movie or so, and it really isn't nothing new. I mean the characters are played as expected and their arcs lead to a predictable conclusion.

There really aren't no twists and turns along the way but I guess only so much you can do with it.

There are a parade of characters, but honestly most of them are given enough screen time to be killed off so I assume I didn't need to care for them.

And while on the subject of killing, such an odd movie, it avoids showing blood and things, but has no problems showing people being skinned to the bone so go figure.

There are like two villains in this movie, and neither are dealt with in a meaningful manner. The first is swallowed/eaten by the second, and the second is.. well absorbed by Dr. Strange, don't ask me to explain it. I don't know either.

The animation is nice, but I still feel that Marvel's animation department lags behinds DC.

All in all, I recommend If its On I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but if its on TV why not.

Next week's movie is Superman: Doomsday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3keu...eature=related

I will also try my best to catch up on the few I missed.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away