View Single Post

Re: Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Default Re: Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

Haha public school is a joke.

I had one good history teacher throughout high school, and the funniest part is he was the high school basketball teacher/ a huge jock, but that man loved history.

Sadly he only taught world civ.

Now to put into perspective the rest of my historical learning:

My freshman year:

Had the choice to take either US Government or Geography. I chose US Gov. because I was much more interested in Law and government than labeling maps, which is something I felt I could learn on my own.

Huge mistake. Our teacher was perhaps the biggest failure ever. She was in her mid-30s, probably obsessing over men because she wanted a baby. After the first 3 weeks of class all we had done was copy definitions every day in class from a list of words on the board and then finding them on our own in the text. One day at the end of the class I was like "Uhm are we ever going to actually have class?" in a roundabout way she was like "Oh this is class, government is just definitions" I rolled my eyes and was like "It's also history etc." then she was all "Well the other students aren't as smart as you" and I was all "That's bullshit, you ignorant bitch"

I walked out and was assigned to go to the library every day after that, where I read books. I still got an A for the class.

My sophomore year was world civ, like I said, Mr. Perry was awesome. He consistently had the best passing rate of the teachers in our school too. He loved history, and would even liven things up by talking about stuff like the rumors that Catherine the Great had a horse fetish. I mean just daily he kept things interesting. I only fell asleep in his class 1 time, and it was the day we were learning to label the US map for some reason, as if I hadn't done that 10,000 times, and it also happened to be 9/11. We left in the middle of the class to go watch the coverage in the library. We also spent the next 5 days talking about 9/11 and the implications it would have on history. Perry = Awesome teacher.

Junior year, my AP US History teacher was a joke. He was the sports coordinator and he spent 95% of his time literally outside of the classroom and the other 5% he was showing videos. I don't even remember taking a test in his class. It got to the point where every day we would play hacky sack and eventually when that got boring we started just not going to the class and heading to the gym to play Basketball because coach gullet didn't give a fuck. It is quite fortunate that I loved history already.

My Senior year was AP US Gov. taught by the same bitch who taught my first US gov class. No one signed up that year, or it wasn't taught. HA! Actually, kinda pathetic because that's an AP test I could have passed other than the 2 english courses.

I feel it is extremely pathetic the way we cultivate young minds in this country sometimes. This is not to say all my teachers were terrible. Overall after my Freshman year in math the quality of my teachers was great, as well as the one spanish teacher we had, she was awesome. My English Teachers were fantastic for Rural KY, especially my Freshman Honors, and AP Senior English teacher. My science teachers were consistently good throughout high school, including a super hardcore Honors Biology teacher, and an awesome AP Bio teacher.

However some of the extremely idiotic classes I had to take as part of the KY state curriculum were just... Like the 4 week 4 class rush that was just silly. Basically Personal Finance, Home Ec, Agriculture and I don't even remember what the 4th part was because the teacher didn't give a damn about teaching it. It was pointless.

We all had to take a computer class (AKA typing) and there was no option to test out of it. I could have used that time to take some other class as I had typing in middle school and hello, computer all my life. I generally finished the assignments in around 10 minutes and then was internet for the rest of the class.

Anyway this just generally reminded me of how mostly pathetic my education was, and how much I self-taught without realizing it through either my own readings or through college stuff.