Re: Citizenship at Birth
Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #36
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Default Re: Citizenship at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
The reason you think it will work beautifully in your mind, is that the only reason they're going there in the first place, is to have an American baby.
No I think it's ONE of the incentives they have for coming here, and not that that single thing would resolve everything. To quote myself.

Quote:
Nobody is saying that removing this one incentive is the end-all be-all answer for immigration. Of course there's gonna be other reasons for them to want to come, and possibly ways made to bend the rules eventually... but I think it addresses the real problem, which is the incentive to move. Because once they have no good reason to step onto this land illegally, then the problem resolves itself.
When I was asked how the problem should be fixed I responded:

Quote:
You make a list of reasons why mexicans would rather live here illegally then live in mexico legaly, then try to tip the scale back in Mexico's favor by making the penalty for coming here (or environment when you are here) illegally worse then staying there. Or if possible, tip the scale back by making the environment over there better.

I'm not saying that the idea in the original post will resolve everything, but I think the idea is a step in the right direction vs the "more guys with guns, bigger fences, and more racial profiling" ideas that seem to be put into action
An incentive is an incentive period. The guy who was sitting there thinking that his kid will be born an american with more oppertunity will be stopped if it's changed. And there are people who think that way.

Right now, living here illegally with under the table money is better then living in mexico, that needs to be changed.