Re: The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #45
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
I think people are singling out Catholicism because that is the religion whose priests are &%$#ing little boys, but I could be wrong. /joke

To me, the problem lies with a horribly outdated celibacy mandate. The relatively high rate of perversion is because many Priests are not joining because they want to sacrifice their libido for God, they are joining because they believe it will cure them of their sometimes perverse compulsions. The trouble is this cure puts them in a position of trust, and surrounds them with what tempts them.

Abolish the celibacy mandate, and I believe the rate of perversion would come down to normal levels and not be nearly as pronounced because they will attract more devotees.

Besides, celibacy is not mandated anywhere but in Catholic dogma. Nothing in the bible demands it.
I think the rates of child molestation probably would go down....

I have 2 commentaries I won't delve deeply into, but here they are:

1) I strongly believe there is a lot of undocumented homosexuality that goes on within the Priesthood (and within the Nun thing). And maybe I'm way off.

2) This may sound dick-ish but I always question why people want to become Clergy. All I ever hear are the canned responses, "I want to spread the word of God," or, "God showed me this path," and both response lack motives or broader behavioral/social considerations.

So yeah. I think there is a lot going on here and the simple solution is stricter screening for priests, harder punishments, and less immunity.

Or if you take a vow of Celibacy let's just chop off their man parts! /I kid I kid...again....