Re: Bin Laden Dead
Old 05-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #52
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Bin Laden Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I'm not saying it must be centrally controlled, I'm just having trouble with the logistics of making sure every child is able to get to school. Right now having a government funded and controlled school system means they can track who is and who isn't coming to school, and go after parents who aren't sending their kids to school. Requiring kids to go to the district that they live in means every kid is guaranteed to have transportation.

If you let parents and kids choose which school to go to, the good schools would be crowded and children with parents who didn't care or don't have the means to send them to the better school would be unfairly left out.

I don't think home schooling is really a great option. School is as much about the social growth of people as it is the academic growth, and if home schooling was too acceptable and a lot of people were doing it I think you would also see a lot of slacker parents who don't teach their kids everything they need to know.
All of your concerns are absolutely valid, but that doesn't mean they are insurmountable. This is a case where regulation is preferable to control. Students can be tracked without having to "check in" on a daily basis. Testing currently monitors students' progress when they attend a centrally controlled school, and testing can track the same for home schooled students.

I'd urge you to look a little more deeply into modern home schooling. There are a lot of great things going on right now, and the internet has been a huge benefit.

Also, after seeing how charter schools basically saved education in New Orleans after Katrina, I'm a big fan of them as well. They are private institutions that use public funds and add a lot of choice and get great results.