View Single Post

Re: Horror Movie Month (My Name is Bruce)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #51
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Horror Movie Month (My Name is Bruce)

Paranormal Activity plays on a pretty normal psychological fear: what happens when you are asleep. I happen to sleepwalk, so I can semi-relate to the film. My girlfriend also suffers night terrors. And finally, my mom is Psychotic, so she will go on zombie-walks at 4am doing all sorts of weird shit (when she's unmedicated). Have you ever seen what a psychotic patient looks like after _LITERALLY_ not sleeping for about 2 or 3 weeks straight? They look exactly like a demon-possessed person in need of an Exorcism.

There's a shitload of psychological research that has emerged in the past 100 years that supports a more grounded or logical explanation for early Exorcism/demon mythology. The fact that Paranormal Activity played off some of these very real psychological cues creeped me out.

I also spend many nights sleeping with the GF, and I thought Paranormal Activity exploited that very real and normal psychological aspect of life as well.

Love it or hate it, I thought it was a well-made movie that surpasses a lot of the shit that has come out in theaters dubbed "horror" in the past few years.

I eagerly await the day you all live with people who sleepwalk or go bump in the night.