Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #1338
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Re: Last movies you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
The original term deus ex machina comes from Greek theatre. Whenever the plot was at a dead point or the writers couldn't come up with anything interesting, they'd introduce a God (deus) that suddenly changed something. They lowered him onto the stage with a crane (machina).

So the term deus ex machina can apply to persons, story elements, plot twists, etc.
Think of somebody returning to the screen, even though you watched him die in one episode. Or a bit of extra info that changes the whole story. Random stuff like that.
Or a love interest suddenly turning out to be the daughter of your arch enemy.

The auto pilot of the Bat (hey, I remembered the name!) turning out to have worked all along, even though you saw Batman sitting in the Bat when he flew out to sea is another good example.

Anyway, that's what I was taught what deus ex machina means.
The Bat is another element that they build up throughout the course of the film.
And even give the audience a hint, hint, wink wink at Bruce being able to fix it.

I believe Lucious says something like a smarter mind.. or a less busy mind would be able to fix it
During the closing montage, you learn that Bruce pretty much fixed the autopilot as soon as he got The Bat

The bigger complaint would be WHEN did he exit the Bat exactly.

Quote:
- Some woman wants to blow up the whole city.... but she gives her enemies enough time to stop her.
I assume you mean the climax?
During the entire film, Bane beats it over the audience's head that he isn't blowing up the bomb right away because he wants to give people "hope" So it's a city-wide torture of sorts.

Quote:
- They trap all the city's police men underground for 3 months... but they keep them so well fed, shaved and trained that they're ready to fight when they get out.
This I agree with you.. Odd that they were in good fighting shape and spirits after spending 3 months underground..
Would imagine their vision has to be a bit screwy as well.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away