View Single Post

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
Old 07-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Been playing this some. Was able to snag the Zelda themed joycons as well.

The game looks great. The QOL changes they've implemented are impactful, but not immediately apparent. They streamlined some of the tutorial stuff and limited the redundant item descriptions.

The motion controls are essentially the same as I remember from the Wii, although potentially I think the gyro gets off track a little more easily requiring a recenter more often. The Wii utilized the IR sensor to keep it center as much as it could; the Switch doesn't have that to I feel like I have to reset basically anytime I do anything. It doesn't bother me (just a quick button press) but I know some people were annoyed by this on the Wii and its more prominent here.

The button controls are hit or miss, IMO. I don't really like the sword swinging. It feels clunky and slow. You really got to flick the stick for the game to register it as a slash; otherwise it just slowly moves the sword to that position. That said, button controls are much smoother for things like the directing the beetle. I also prefer aiming stuff like the slingshot with the joystick and finetuning with the gyro. Unfortunately, its an all or nothing arrangement. You're either playing full motion controls or full buttons. You can't use motion for the sword and the buttons for everything else. A hybrid set up would be my ideal. You can switch between the two if you're playing with joycons, but you have to go into the options menu so its not a quick or convenient process.

Overall, this is definitely the "definitive" way to play this game. If you didn't get to play it before its worth a look, but if you've played it on the Wii and didn't like it this probably won't win you over.

Current Review: Xenogears