Re: Iowa Republican Debate
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber

Now Playing:
Default Re: Iowa Republican Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Do you work at Mayo (just curious)? Those cost declines are probably more a short-term change than anything substantial. Costs will continue to increase as our population ages, unless there is a change to the status quo.
I do, yes (though in the context of political discussion, disregard my affiliation with Mayo). You may be right, all I'm reporting is what we've seen thusfar. But I think the benefits may be more long term than you think. The idea is that now we're forced to keep track of when patients have had important tests (Colonoscopy, Lipid Panel, PSA, Mammogram, Pap Test, etc). If we find they're due for something important, even if we're not they're primary care provider, we offer to schedule it for them. If we don't, we don't get Medicare reembursement. I realize we have a very streamlined process, and it may be a more ideal implementation than many health organizations.

Quote:
He needs to focus on growing the economy, which starts with creating a predictable, and frankly boring, economic environment. Reform the tax code, lower rates, broaden the base. Lock-in everything for several years. Those things alone will drive up tax revenue far more than any tax increase on the super wealthy (also will do more to solve the deficit issue than anything else).
I only support a tax increase on the super wealthy in that it's smarter than getting rid of social services offered to the poor or raising taxes on the middle class. I don't think that it's going to solve our budget crisis at all. But when Republicans say they want 'everybody to pay their share' and that includes taxing the middle class while extending cuts for the rich, I have a problem.

The progressive flat tax you guys have discussed seems quite fair.

Quote:
Climate change? I'm with you, but there are bigger fish to fry with 9.2% unemployment (~15% real unemployment).
Climate change has to be the really big one. There's a clear intent to deny and discredit climate change filtering down from somewhere in the Republican party. I haven't really seen much from the GOP regarding what to do about unemployment, aside from a Bachmann calling down from on high to axe the minimum wage.

I can't reconcile my social differences with the party either.

Texas is facing a huge teen pregnancy problem thanks to Rick Perry's abstinence only sex education program. He's also under fire for his crude vaginal sonogram laws he passed for the anti-abortion camp (judge just threw it out). Not to mention the $500 million he's accepted from AT&T and then surprisingly voted in favor of their merger.

Republicans are supposed to be the ones cheering for limited government. But most of them can't even agree on that. You've got the gay haters, the Christian fundamentalists who can't understand separation of church and state (or worse, Bachmann/Perry Dominionism brand crazy), people who want to continue an unconstitutional drug war (granted, some are smarter).

Republicans are only conservative when it suits them.

And I don't want this to be a bash the Republican party post, like so many of mine seem to be. Because I'm feel quite disillusioned to politicians in general. I'm not impressed with the Obama or the Democratic party as a whole, but it is socially far more progressive.

I've written several long, well worded letters to the President. I've pointed out his inconsistencies, his hypocrisy, and in several instances I voiced concerns that his actions belie his actual agenda. I never expected or received a reply.

Right now, I'm at a total loss for where my vote should go.

Last edited by thatmariolover : 09-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.