View Single Post

Re: "Nuclear Wessels!" The Star Trek Movie!
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: "Nuclear Wessels!" The Star Trek Movie!

I actually loved Nero's character - I had a moment watching the movie where I really empathized with him. I mean, he came through the portal, and then waited there for 25 years. He must have known what he was doing was hopeless - he was in the middle of space with finite resources. He would eventually run out out of ammo, he had no hope to really succeed in doing anything but the one thing he wanted.

But anyway...I've been watching the first season of Star Trek on my Xbox streaming from Netflix, and I just saw an episode I haven't saw before, "The Naked Time." What happens is that the crew gets infected with some disease that causes them to lose all of their inhibitions.

But, the interesting part is that during this time they were flying over an alien planet, and had entered it's atmosphere. In order to get enough power fast enough to escape the pull of gravity, they had to combine matter and anti-matter in the engines (similar to the red matter from the movie). The result was they they ended up moving "faster than normal space allows", and they went back in time 71 hours.

Spock says to Kirk, "Since we know it is possible...we could go back in time to any planet...to any era."

Kirk sort of looks at him and smiles, and says, "Maybe some day we will, Mr. Spock."

I was like, :O