Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #22
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:
Default Re: LOST Tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post
That was my favorite scene!

Something I notice about how you react to the show is that you tend to judge characters on qualities you'd look for in your friends instead of qualities that make them interesting characters. You often complain about Jack and I insist that it's Jack's lack of leadership qualities and tendency to make poor decisions that makes him an interesting character.

I thought it was sweet that Sawyer called him out. I have a bus to catch so I'll finish this thought later.
I'm analyzing the characters subjectively. I'm only interested in how they react and respond. And then I present my opinion.

You're analyzing the characters objectively. I think you're judging them purely from a literary standpoint. How richly they've been written and the complexities the authors have given them and stuff. Which I get, cause you're a writer, and director and stuff.

But when you said 'instead' up there in the quoted text, it makes it sound like I shouldn't be looking at it subjectively.

I think they're just different ways of watching a show. Neither one is wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot what it was about Jack that I was complaining about. I think you and I were discussing Jack and Locke and I was pointing out why I think Locke is better or something.

Jack was actually a great leader and 'shepherd' for the passengers in seasons 1 through about 3. Then after that, the group kind of split with Jack heading one and Locke heading the other.

I disagree completely with Sawyer's point about Jack being rash and reacting to things to quickly without thinking through a little.

The situation Jack was in when the plane first crashed is A LOT different from the situation Sawyer's in now that he's kind of leading a small part of the Dharma. Jack didn't have time to think when he woke up and their was burning wreckage from the plane and people injured and screaming. Jack didn't have a furnished house to sit in each night to think things through.

Sawyer's argument just seems so stupid. Sawyer lied his way into a community that was already completely built and established with all the things they need to survive.

When Jack was the leader, they had nothing. So of course Jack wouldn't have time to think because he had to worry about food, shelter, bears, invisible smoke monster, and the Others.