Re: Oh Good Lord
Old 11-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Oh Good Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar View Post

Come on now. All liberals are just acting on "gut instinct" or something? None of them are out there actually using their brains? There is absolutely no logical basis for their thinking at all? All the liberal thinkers out there are actually not thinking and their conservative counterparts are?

That's a wee bit harsh, not to mention simplistic, don't you think?
Well it is a generality, but generalities are a must in society. Without them the world would screech to a halt as no decision could be made on any subject. I will say this: I do not think that today's American liberals are bad people, only misguided. They have the best intentions at heart.

To use less of a generality, I actually view liberals in one of two categories: "Raving Loons" and "Super-Intelligent Cyber-Men From the Future".

Raving Loons are those who love Michael Moore and Al Gore. They run on pure passion, whether thats joy or pure venom. Anything said by any individual that supports their pre-determined opinions is immediate fact. Anything that contests that "fact" is immediately wrong for the simple fact it dared challenge their beliefs. The believe things are true because they sound good and wholesome and anything that sounds as good as "universal healthcare" could not possibly have any downside, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just an evil, money grubbing shill for some nondescript rich people regardless of the validity of the content of the challenge. The subgenre's underneath Raving Loon include Conspiracy Loons (believe 9/11 was caused by Bush and that every election won by a Republican in hisrtory was "stolen") and Nature Loons (bio-engineered food is horrible even though its probably saved billions of lives from starvation and malnutrition).

Super-Intelligent Cyber-Men from the Future, on the other hand, have gone the other direction. They have read and learned so much that they have completely disassociated themselves from the human race, and view them as ants that need to be ruled becase ants cannot possibly know what is best for them. Kind of like Dr. Manhattan in Alan Moore's The Watchmen. Everything has become relative and reality and theory have combined into "thereality", where ideas are just as good as precedent and pragmatism. Cyber-Men believe that they must help man transcend their mundane form and existence and reach their level of reality. Concepts like "roller-derby", "NASCAR" and "exchange of currency for goods and services that can then be exhanged for goods and services" are barbaric and insulting. Cyber-Men tend to exist solely in intellectual bubble worlds, like universities and grant operated think-tanks. The real world tends to be too harsh and unmalliable for their liking.

Is this a little more specific for you?

On the political front, I think you left out Casey in PA as a pretty moderate Dem who booted Santorum. I do want to clarify, though, when I referred to conservative democrat, I was meaning that they were more moderate than what we have veiwed Dems as recently. They tended to be more socially conservative but militarily and financially liberal. The Dem leadership are far more left of center than the Dems that were just elected. It could make things interesting next year.

By the way, Lamont really creamed Leiberman, didn't he? Wow, what a blowout.

Sorry, I had to do it.