Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us
Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Default Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
By that logic you can say anything stinks. Its pure opinion with no qualification or comparison and while I disagree completely there is no point in challenging such a statement.
What? That's bogus. Just because something has technically worked for the last few centuries doesn't mean it will continue to work, or that it actually works that well. If we tried every governmental system in existence for a period of time, and then our system worked the best, then yeah, that would be true. Just because we've lasted so long, doesn't mean it really is working to benefit anyone. That's like saying there are no need for new cars because the ones we have work well.

Quote:
I can't say I've ever had to make the decision you've described, but I can say my family wasn't far from it at one point. What we didn't do was cry "woe is me" or blame a system for the problem. The only person responsible for an individual and their family is the individual, regardless of what politicians say or laws they pass. In the end it's up to you. Anything else is fantasy.
Neither did I, but that doesn't mean someone is a lesser individual because the did and it's ignorant to think that everyone had the same chances and control their own destiny. That's just an easy way out for you to blame the homeless person when they beg you for your change. Sure some of us make really bad decisions through life, but it's not the majority, and sometimes it's not a decision, it's just the way things have to be.

Quote:
And what a wonderful world that would be... I 'm having a hard time relating to you on this topic. Your statements reflect the thought process of an extraordinarily negative person. I recommend reading the Tao te Ching http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching
That was a joke. Was hoping the "haha" in front would imply.

Quote:
I don't believe America is perfect in realizing its ideals, but perfection is a myth and chasing it is a dangerous fools game. It can get better, of course, but I've seen too much success in my life to believe the myth that it is a myth. For example, I work with Realtors, and most of them came from very humble beginnings and most either do not have college degrees or they got them later in life once they made their money. What they did have was the time and effort to get their license and master their craft and make their own best life. Does that mean every Realtor shares the same success? Absolutely not. WE are not all equal, we are only guaranteed that shot, not the results. Freedom to succeed also comes with the freedom to fail. I would hate to live in a world where no one ever failed. How boring and pointless would that be?
You're right, it could get much better. It's also foolish to think that every problem with this country can be solved through hard work. If that was true then none of us would ever need to go to school to practice the things we enjoy. I mean look at me, I probably understand coding better than a lot of the people who are in the coding industry, but do I have a job? No because I can't afford a piece of paper. Amazing.

Quote:
Buit again, if someone wants to believe they or others are trapped by some mysterious shadow web of wealth and power, they can go right ahead. They're one less person I have to compete with.

I see in this attitude more negativity than anything I've ever said. Protect what you have. That's the American Sentiment. Don't help others, strive to get as many materialistic things as possible, and strive to be better than everyone else. That's the goal.

Sometimes people fall down, and all they need is someone to pick them back up and help them walk again. The American Dream doesn't do that though, it walks over to them, pulls down it's large pair of pants, takes a huge shit, and uses a few Franklins to wipe, then burns them all while laughing.

Fuck the American dream.