Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us
Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Acebot44
Knight

Now Playing: Vectorman
Default Re: Reconciling the American Dream with the Least Among Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
Like your example Bond, I'm sure there are plenty of folks in your situation without the cushy fallback. They'll make sure their grades don't decline or become a drunkard as you say. They can't afford to not succeed. Chances are they have a job paying their way through college and law school.
Bingo. That's me.

It's funny. In Bond's initial post, he mentioned the structure of the intimate course in diversity he's been participating in and facilitating, and the parallels between the two of us grew another notch. I've been a facilitator in a strikingly similar course for the past two years here at my University. I will be studying for the LSAT as well next quarter with aspirations of attending law school after undergrad.

But my intention for going is quite different. Failure is NOT an option and as Teuth said, I "can't afford to not succeed." I am currently attending university for a pittance of the actual cost because I receive FULL financial aid, primarily as a result of my parents eensy-weensy annual income. Oh, and we're also immigrants, not yet citizens either. Pursing my dream of becoming a lawyer is nowhere near a "risk," in fact, its the only rational route I can take to possibly provide a cushy life for my parents. That is my main goal and having nothing to fall back on serves as the most effective source inspiration and motivation I could ask for.

I don't understand how going to college, working your butt off, going to law school, and working at a firm is a risky venture. In this sense of the American Dream, which I wholly equate with the ideal of Meritocracy, my own determination and perseverance has led me to the highly competitive position I am currently in. Looking white has helped a bunch too.

For being inspired to post this thread as a result of participating in a class titled "Diversity Dialogues," I'm surprised by the lack reference to race thus far.