Re: Oscar Nominees
Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default Re: Oscar Nominees

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
The Blind Side? Avatar? District 9? Up!?

What a shitty year for movies if this is what we get for best picture. Seriously, why did they broaden the category to include so many movies.

The Oscars are one step closer to being the Grammys.

I can see the hate for The Blind Side and Avatar seems to be very love it or hate it. What could possibly be wrong with District 9? At least, so wrong that its a mark on the entire year that is what nominated? It was fantastic.

And I won't even ask what's wrong with Up!. Up! is one of Pixar's best movies. And considering that there's always some talk about "Maybe it'll get nominated for the Best Picture Oscar!" for every Pixar movie, I think their arguably best one certainly deserves it. It may not be "artsy," but it certainly resonates emotionally more than most Best Picture nominees.

Just a few noms from prior year's that I think District 9 and Up! were better than:

- Frost/Nixon
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Crash
- Brokeback Mountain

Anyway, not like it really matters that they were nominated. Avatar might win (and probably would have been nominated even if there were only five noms), but the others don't have a chance. They were only nominated to try to boost viewership. Even with the extra, more popular noms I'm sure there will be plenty of people wondering why Transformers isn't on the list.

Current Review: Xenogears