Re: Iron Man 2
Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Iron Man 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I saw it tonight. I didn't much care for it - the movie was all over the place, Stark/Iron-Man was much less likable, and there were too many facepalm moments.

"This new element will solve your problem, unfortunately it cannot be made."

*Tony makes it*

Overall not a -bad- movie, just such a disappointment after the first one.
I agree, this scene and the chain of events leading up to it was cheesey and dumb.

Since Iron Man 2 bucked the trend (where the sequel is better than the original for comic movies) I'll offer my theory why. It's actually the same theory for why I feel that the sequel usually is better than the original:

Iron Man 2 was basically an intro/origins movie for War Machine and Justin Hammer. It was also an origins/intro movie for Stark's alcoholism, unless I missed that from the first movie. And an intro/origin for more SHIELD stuff which is building to the inevitable (its in these actor's contracts) and inevitably awful Avengers movie.

On the other hand, Iron Man 2 featured a rockin' cast. Mickey Rourke was awesome and looked awesome, and Sam Rockwell is one of my favorite actors period. And Sam Jackson does a decent Nick Fury as far as Hollywood goes. So sure, the movie was less than perfect and it had a little bit of Spiderman 3 syndrome, but it wasn't an emo mess and it didn't bastardize the Venom story so it is all good by me.

I STILL LIKE IT.