View Single Post

Re: Game of Thrones Season 2
Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Game of Thrones Season 2

Quote:
So did you read the books? Do you disagree with what I said, that it's more and more about Ice and Fire and less about the Game of Thrones?
I haven't read the books. That was beyond my point - which was more "You're not in any better of a position than the people you were talking down to considering you haven't finished the Universe, either." with your

Quote:
And I guess A Song of Ice and Fire is too kiddy for the tough guys who think they know the universe.
comment.

Maybe in the books you haven't read - The Throne, and vying for control of the entire area is a major theme again - you wouldn't know, because you're only halfway through.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or anything like that - I'm definitely not really in any better position than you. Just that in not having finished 'the universe' yet, I doubt you're hardly in any position to judge the other likers of that series on what the title should be in relation to the theme, because at most you're either 2 books behind them (with 2 more to go), or 2 books ahead of them.

I will answer your original question though, even though it's moot because I haven't read the books - but as for watching Season 1, I can 100% understand why they chose the name "Game of Thrones" - because everyone is vying for control of that throne. The 'game' is the leniency they throw eachothers' lives away with all for control of a throne. Maybe not the Iron Throne. But as said in the last episode "There's a King in every corner."

"A song of Ice and Fire" makes very little sense for the show. First of all it sounds very dainty, and yes - this obviously matters especially when trying to sell your product to North America. Secondly, there has so far been very little singing, and not a whole lot of fire or ice aside from snow and stoves. Imagine The Walking Dead with no dead people walking around for an entire season. Imagine the characters in Lost knowing exactly where they were at all times.
I will clarify: That is tongue-in-cheek.
"A song of ice and fire" sort of implies some type of (if not sung) medium that you can read - which makes perfect sense for a book. Plus in being 7 books, you need a main title and then sub-titles for each book, because you can't really title your books "Book 1", "Book 2". However for shows, you cannot change the title of your TV show every year simply for continuity with the die-hard market. But you however can title your shows "Season 1", and "Season 2". The difference is that shows are cyclical, and the book is not. There are going to be 7 books. There are already 11 episodes. You need to be able to easily categorize the stuff for the fans and make it as easily recognizable as possible to as many people as possible for as long as possible.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.