View Single Post

Re: Romney and Bain Capital
Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Romney and Bain Capital

Yeah, I just did.

This made me think though, in a "hmm, what if" way, not a "Ha Ha, I knew it!" way.

Quote:
77 businesses Bain invested in while Mr. Romney led the firm from its 1984 start until early 1999...
Quote:
Another finding was that Bain produced stellar returns for its investors—yet the bulk of these came from just a small number of its investments. Ten deals produced more than 70% of the dollar gains.
Quote:
Some of those companies, too, later ran into trouble. Of the 10 businesses on which Bain investors scored their biggest gains, four later landed in bankruptcy court.
Quote:
22% either filed for bankruptcy reorganization or closed their doors by the end of the eighth year after Bain first invested, sometimes with substantial job losses. An additional 8% ran into so much trouble that all of the money Bain invested was lost.
Quote:
Seventeen of the 77 private-equity targets filed bankruptcy petitions, usually Chapter 11 reorganization, or closed their doors by the end of the eighth year after Bain's
Quote:
Mr. Romney describes job losses and bankruptcies as an inevitable byproduct of the capitalist system, and has said that in some cases, eliminating some jobs may save the rest of the company.

I wonder if they were getting involved with different companies in the same field of work (I don't mean all of them, but some of each, rather than all of one, or one of everything), and then somehow running their own smaller businesses/investments out of business, in order for their larger ones to get even larger, because you've just made the market smaller.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.