Thread: Christoph Waltz
View Single Post

Re: Christoph Waltz
Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Christoph Waltz

I should explain my feeling son the movie further: I think the first two thirds of the movie are brilliant at times. The opening scene in the French farmhouse is one of the best executed pieces of cinema I've seen in a long time. Masterful.

But the last third of the movie felt extraordinarily weak and cartoonish compared to the previous storytelling and, a common Tarantino trait over the last decade, self-indulgent. And while I agree that the movie turned into a farce, especially near the end, I challenge anyone to think the opening scene was a farce. There were parts of that movie that were very real and disturbing, a trait not found in farces/comedies.

As for the message, I thought it was one of undying vengeance and guilt. Vengeance for the Jews, killing Hitler and ending the war in hegemonic fashion, a morbid fantasy. Guilt for the Germans, with each surviving German having a swastika carved in their head so they, and on a larger theme their nation, will never be able to escape their past. Neither of those themes are redeeming, in my view. But that's just how I saw it. You'd have to ask Quentin what his intentions were.