Re: DVI cable for PS3 anyone?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:
Default Re: DVI cable for PS3 anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasecret View Post
First off, any ol' HDMI-to-DVI cable will work for the video. I have a feeling you already know that. Also, for general knowledge I like to tell everyone -- do not pay anymore than about $7 on such a cable, make sure to buy online... Do not get ripped off at a store!

As for the audio, it depends on what you're trying to get your audio to. What speakers are you using, your computer's? How are you planning to hook up to those speakers -- through the microphone port on your computer, or something else?

The PS3 has an optical out for the audio, which is likely to be your best bet. But it will require converting to whatever input your speakers require (unless they have optical-in).
Yeah, I was looking at radio shack for a hdmi to dvi converter and they had this small dongle that did the job.... $45 BUCKS!!!!!! Wallmart had the same dongle (different Brand) for $18, but even at that price I think it's bad. And the audio is gone with that thing. I just noticed a cable on ebay and amazon that lets me hook the Wii and the PS3 to my monitor via vga. Which is perfect since those are the two consoles that I own, I could take them both to my room and not have to worry ever again about my newphew messing with them (he's 1 year old) or having to wait to use the tv. They're $25 the cheapest so I'll see if I can find them cheaper.

As for the audio, I'm going to buy these cheap speakers (5.1) for PC and I have the dongle that takes the red and white cables and connects them to the pc's black, green and orange. My Logitech speakers brought them so If I buy those I'm covered in case it doesn't bring them. I just don't want to have to be switching the speakers between the pc and the consoles. I've done it before with the wii and it's a pain. I'm willing to setup two speakers sets in my room in the mean time. I can fit that in my room and it's cheaper than buying a home theater sound system (which would create a mess in my room). So far that's what I think I'll be doing. The speakers are $35 because my friend has a certificate for repairing PCs so he gets them cheaper. That and the cable would be $60 which is more than I'd like to pay but my options for this monitor are limited. If you know of any easier way to do it, let me know. I'll check my motherboard and see which outputs it accepts. I think it accepts spdif but that cable also costs much. I checked the back of the PS3 slim and it does have the interface for that cable. I'd like to be able to use 5.1 but as long as I have my sound, it's cool. Later on I'll buy a sound system and connect everything through the HDMI but I'm buying a HD TV first so that'll be very well into the future.