View Single Post

Re: Musical YouTubes: Our tubes are filled with music!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #248
jeepnut
Mr. Sarcasm

Now Playing:
Default Re: Musical YouTubes: Our tubes are filled with music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
That Nekrogoblikon song actually sounds alright, singer isn't that bad. It actually sounds like your run of the mill death metal band. I've heard a lot worse, especially since a lot of death metal is under produced European stuff.

The shitty voice is I think a steeple of death metal. My theory is bands who can't quite aspire to the throat control of singers like Jens Kidman (Meshuggah) or Glen Benton (Vital Remains) just join death metal bands.

Not surprisingly, death metal bands like vital remains get referred to as having "cookie monster" vocals.
Trust me, I love the heavy stuff. But my vocalists need to have some variety to them. You can't just shout every word with the same scream. You need highs and lows, and you need to be able to hold a scream for a while too. Basically, just keep it interesting.

That's probably why I never got into Meshuggah. His vocals fit what they do, but he is just way too bland for my tastes. You want some quality death vox, one of my favorites is the vocalist for Becoming the Archetype.

Old Extol from when they were still death metal is pretty sweet too.

"Truth is not determined by a majority vote." - Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI Putting the smackdown on heresy since 1981
"Abortion is mean." - Rock For Life
"Remember men, we're all in the same boat - and women are on the shore, laughing." - Red Green